Thursday, June 18, 2009

Throw Down

Why is it that when a dog sees another dog he barks violently at it?
What are they trying to communicate? I saw three big dogs in the back of a truck this morning barking and growling at a chihuahua. They need not feel threatened for a few reasons:
  1. They were in a truck, they automatically win.
  2. They were huuuuuge!
So I can't help but wonder what they were saying via bark. Dogs look so aggressive when they bark like that so the only things that come to mind are negative things. Maybe they were barking out some pretty good insults or yo momma jokes. Maybe barking takes a lot of effort so they just look mad but really they're just saying things like "oh whats up, I haven't seen you since that one day at the park."

I don't study dog behavior and I don't personally know anyone who does. But it sure would be great to figure out what they're saying to each other and if they really are fighting or just chatting. But I 'm pretty sure friendly dog chats just include bum sniffing and none of this barking nonsense.

In the end I'm pretty sure the chihuahua made some off color joke at the hick dogs and they were fighting.

No comments: